Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Hey everyone! I didn't talk in lecture today either, but I had a bunch of thoughts. 

In response to the previous post on today's lecture... I know I had a reporter write about broadband access for farmers in a recent Badger Herald issue. Obama was increasing broadband access as part of his stimulus package, but I don't know anything more about taxes,etc. 

However, I really wanted to comment on the personal experience I had in Costa Rica in a library. I went to the country on a school trip in high school, and although I had some Spanish language knowledge, I didn't know enough about the language to go around the library myself, so I can only imagine how scary it is for recent immigrants here. 

In Costa Rica, the libraries were much smaller, darker and not nearly as welcoming. I don't know, or rather don't remember, anything about if you had to pay for services, but I remember that nearly everyone there was waiting to use a computer, which most people didn't have at their homes. Each person would only check out a few things and then someone else would have a turn. 

I thought it was very interesting to think about today because I hadn't thought much about the experience until lecture today. 

No comments:

Post a Comment