Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Divides..

I'll admit, I had trouble finding an article for the project until I stumbled across an article on CNN about how Microsoft is coming out with an application store (similar to that for the iPhone) and will also be updating is software for so-called "smartphones," hoping to keep pace with Apple's gains while improving it's overall market share, as it fights with customers over brands like Blackberry. 

Let me just say, I have a "smartphone," and I love it because I continually have access to the latest information, either on CNN or Perez Hilton. That being said, I think smartphones really do contribute to the information divide, since some members of the population are give continual access to the latest information in the pocket, while others don't have that same access. For example, I was able to watch President Obama's swearing in ceremony on my phone despite the fact that I had class. Other students might have missed out on that experience just because they didn't have the latest technology in their back pocket. 

I think smart phones also contribute to a technological divide because they cost more and are becoming increasingly popular for cell phone providers to carry instead of traditional phones. As a result, people from lower income classes may no longer be able to afford cell phones at all, since they won't be able to buy the phone or the additional service that you often have to buy when you purchase the phone. Not only does this create a technological divide, I think it also creates a safety issue-- do we really want someone walking back from the library at 2am without a cell phone? If they were attacked, how could they call the police for help? Clearly, these type of innovations, while exciting and new, are likely to cause just as much harm as good. 

1 comment:

  1. Rachel,
    Interesting points about smartphones being so popular, and I tend to agree with it. I, not owning a smartphone definitely see how useful they can be and am planning on getting one at some point. I think you also hit a good point with the fact that we are going to start moving more and more towards these devices. I think that your point about lower income individuals not being able to afford these is something that can be solved. It seems that cell phones are always getting better, and I think it is only a matter of time before affordable smartphones are available for this problem to be solved. I think that the only way people with smartphones would only be able to understand what it would be like to not have them if they tried to go a week or for some amount of time without them. This obviously seems irrational but hopefully with better phones coming out frequently, everyone will have these types of phones.

    ReplyDelete