Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Thursday's Online Lecture- Community Analysis

Hey fellow 202ers! I am not sure if I should be blogging on the discussion blog or on Professor Whitmire's blog, but I figured I would share my answers to the questions from Thursday's online lecture!

First of all, the issue, as Professor Whitmire said in the online lecture, building new libraries and developing new resources for the less advantaged groups will take extreme dedication not only amongst librarians and politicians, but amongst the community members as well. As everyone is well aware during this time especially, money does not grow on trees. Projects like building new libraries and providing those resources to less fortunate groups will cost large amounts of money. Without the funding and resources, the digital divide and information gap will continue and spread even further. 

Also, when I did my comparison of libraries in Chicago, IL and Urbana, IL, I did notice similarities to the study Professor Whitmire presented. The library in Urbana was placed right in a collegiate area, thus was being used by more students and young people for studying, researching, and a simple gathering place. However, the urban Chicago library was not lacking in its use. I can see the parallel that could be drawn between education level and library use. Through my own education, I have learned so many new ways to gather information whether its through the internet, libraries, books, or interviews. I think that this knowledge that I take for granted may be one of the main reasons why less advantaged groups may not use the technological resources as readily. 

No comments:

Post a Comment