Wednesday, February 4, 2009

HAPPY BIRTHDAY FACEBOOK!

So I read this article called "Facebook Changed My Life" on BBC News. It featured all of these stories people submitted in celebration of the 5th anniversary of Facebook, which happens to be today. As I read through these peoples' stories, I got to thinking and realized that Facebook really has changed my life.

Before Facebook, I spent my freetime doing somewhat worthwhile things; reading, watching movies that interested me, spending times with my friends and family. I feel like ever since I was introduced to Facebook, my time spent doing all of these things has been reduced to nil. Who would have thought that a website designed to enable communication would have turned out to do the exact opposite?

Even though Facebook is probably not the most efficient way to spend time, now that it's become a part of everyday life, I don't know if I could live without it.

3 comments:

  1. Here you are

    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/talking_point/7869861.stm

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is an interesting topic, and really very true. I think a good way to investigate would be to observe how often people use facebook and what they spend their time doing while on the site. Data can be collected showing the frequency of use today compared to a few years ago. An investigation to show what people used to spend this time doing would also be helpful. Interviews could also be conducted to find the impact it has had on lives and to find previous hobbies. An analysis of those people who uses facebook specifically could be helpful to see if certain demographics spend more time on the site. It seems to me that there are a lot of ways to find out the effects of facebook and how it has changed people's lives, these are just a few suggestions.

    ReplyDelete