Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Legacy and Bishop Article

I have to say that I thoroughly enjoyed watching the Legacy film in lecture over the past couple weeks. I felt like viewing an actual family struggling with equality issues helped me understand the material much better. The video was also directed and produced very well, which caused the audience to feel a part of the Collins family experience. 

I felt like the Collins' story related very well to the Bishop article we were supposed to read for last week. Bishop talked about low income African Americans who were struggling to provide for their families, which was very similar to the Collins and their situation. Bishop also found a lot of his information through simple word of mouth. This was similar to Legacy because the Collins' story was told strictly through word of mouth. The women of the family expressed their desires and needs through interviews and other conversations. I didn't feel like Legacy touched much on the actual digital divide though. The Collins were going through a divide, no doubt, but the idea of a technological divide was only touched on once that I recall. However, the digital divide did not prevent Nickole from prospering as a student and as a young person. Overall, a great movie and great idea to show this movie as a real life example of the lecture material. 

No comments:

Post a Comment