Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Legacy and Bishop

I really enjoyed watching the Legacy filmed and i think it really opens your eyes to people who aren't as privelaged as we are. I did disagree a little with what the woman TA said yesterday in lecture about the girl not having access to AP credits and that putting her at a disadvantage. I am from a really small school and we also didn't have the options of taking AP courses at school and I don't feel behind or disadvantaged at all. Yea maybe I would have tested out of a few classes, but I can still get out in 4 years, etc.
For last week I read the bishop article and in some ways I think it relates to Legacy. In the article it talked about African Americans that were struggling financially, which in turn led to a shortage in access to technology. In Legacy, the Collins family also struggled financially and with access. The girl that went to the private high school was able to access the technology she needed, but the older generations greatly struggled. While they didn't go into great detail about the access issues the Collins family had, I think some were obvious and related quite well to the article. This was an interesting movie to show and actually showed real life examples. I think we all know they exist, but if the access issues aren't affecting us directly we tend to forget.

1 comment:

  1. I think you did a great job comparing these two articles!

    ReplyDelete