Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Legacy and Bishop

For some reason my legacy post did not show up on the blog so I am trying to remember what I said and post it again.

First of all I really enjoyed watching Legacy. I thought it was a touching movie that gave me a deeper understanding about how some people are actually living in the U.S today. I also thought the movie did a great job of vividly bringing the information we are learning in this class to a actual example family. It was nice to see a real life example of some of the struggles and hardships that we were learning about in class. At least for me, it made the material seem more important and made it tangible.

It was also very easy to see many examples from the Bishop article come to life in Legacy. First of all, Bishop was talking about lower income African American families who were deprived of access and technology because of their financial status. This is exactly what we see with the collin's family (with and exception of Nicole). They had many other things to worry about in their life than getting the Internet. Keeping the children safe, trying to get off welfare, and looking for employment were issues that was keeping the Collins family on the bottom side of the digital divide. Many other concepts from class were brought up in this movie and I really believe that this movie did a great job of connecting the class to a real life example.

No comments:

Post a Comment