Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Axel Hernandez


What up. My name is Axel but my stage name is Young Smash(mixtape coming soon). I like writing, reading, sleeping, and eating. I was born and raised on the East Side of Milwaukee, WI. I went to Rufus King international baccalaureate World School aka Milwaukee King aka the one good school in milwaukee. I played soccer, played in the band and enjoyed padding my resume in high school. Im one thousand percent Boricua and both my parents were raised in the motherland of Puerto Rico. My mom did all the raising in my house because my parents got divorced. I have 4 siblings and im the youngest. I work at the chem library and campus and im in the army rotc. I hang out with a diverse group of people and am from one fo the most segregated city in the US.

This picture is from Gender Bender day in High school for spirit week. I think it shows how im not afraid to put myself out there ha and i look good in heels.

4 comments:

  1. Young Smash, eh? Nice dude. It sounds like you work really hard. Plus, it's really cool that you have a little different background coming into this class. Why is your city one of the most segregated? What are the two biggest groups segregated from each other?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey that's awesome that you played in the band, so did I. What instrument did you play? I've heard before that Milwaukee (which is where i originally grew up) is one of the most segregated cities in th U.S., but did you notice it quite a bit when you grew up or did that affect you after coming to Madison?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everyone is divided in some way in Milwaukee. Traditional Blacks are on the North Side/Near East Side, Hispanics are on the near southside and parts of the near East side, and White and others are everywhere else. Its so segregated because of racist housing practices in the 60s and 70s. Milwaukee also has traditionally had bad schools so minorities have not been able to gain the money to move anywhere else besides the inner city.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I played the trumpet. What instrument did you play? In Milwaukee it was pretty obvious growing up that it was segregated. It sucks but i was lucky enough to go to a Magnet school so the kids came from all across the city so it was pretty diverse.

    ReplyDelete