Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Third Places

Being a student here in Madison I am overwhelmed by the number of third places that I see here. Just walking down state street you see tons of people partaking in activities away from their home or work. An example of a third place that I think is one of the more prominent third places is the Starbucks Coffee shop on state street. This is definitely a place where students, faculty, and many other people go where conversation is the main activity and people can just relax. It is always tough finding a seat in the Starbucks because of all the regulars that go there on a daily basis. The shop is located on neutral ground and accommodates anyone interested in the store. It has a playful mood and the design and interior of the shop is definitely a home away from home. There is a relaxing fireplace that you can sit by which gives the shop a very homey feel. I definitely believe that the Starbucks Coffee shop is a great example of a third place.

To me, I believe that this blog could be a third place. It does not have all the same characteristics as the Starbucks Coffee shop but in its own way it could be a place where people go to get away from the stresses of daily life and just relax. This blog is also about communication so that is definitely the main focus of this program. I have to disagree on the playful mood section because I do not believe this blog is very playful.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with your argument for Starbucks being a third place. I have seen it packed full of regulars and the mood does look very playful. I was wondering if you really consider this blog a third place because of it being a place to get away from the stresses of real life. In my mind, it is very possible for there to be someone who has a very busy schedule, and writing on this blog would take away from their freetime. Also, some of the people in this blog may not want to be here but have to participate in order to recieve a good grade in this class.

    ReplyDelete